Color therapy is a non-invasive and holistic treatment that brings balance and health to your mind and body. The vibrations of the color in color therapy class improve your mood and overall health. Colors are made up of reflected lights that hit our retinas as the wavelengths vibrate. Our brain interprets these wavelengths, which ultimately makes our perception of color as a physical and sensory experience.
Colour therapy is based on the idea that colors create an electrical impulse in our brain, which stimulates hormonal and biochemical processes in our body. These processes either stimulate or calm us.
How to get started with Color Therapy
There are as many colors in color therapy sessions as there are colors in the rainbow. As you start with your color therapy session, your therapist will give you an analysis of all colors and ask you about the aspects of life in which you think these colors can improve. Many salons combine color and aromatherapy. In some salons, you might even get a massage with different colors of light being projected on your body to stimulate health and healing. Many spas also offer treatment in which they place different colors of silk on different points of your body, which are said to control your mood and emotional well-being.
Different colors treat different ailments
The shades of colors used in your color therapy session will vary depending upon the type of ailment you are trying to correct. For example, blue or purple lights are anti-inflammatory and calming. Green color helps to purify and cleanse, white and yellow color light stimulates the lymphatic system. Red light is invigorating but it may cause agitation if you are already tense.
According to Indian philosophy, the chakras are considered the centers of spiritual power and energy within our bodies. There are seven chakras and different colors represent a different chakra:
- Red color: The root chakra located at the base of the spine is represented by red color. The chakra has to do with our connection with the Earth.
- Orange color: The Sacral Chakra, which is located 2 or 3 inches below the navel is represented by orange color. This chakra is said to be associated with reproduction, kidneys, adrenals, and pleasure. The chakra is the mind-body chakra.
- Yellow color: The solar plexus chakra is associated with the liver, pancreas, digestive system, gallbladder, empowerment, and well-being. The chakra is located between the navel and sternum.
- Green color: The color represents the Heart Chakra. It’s associated with heart, lungs and immune system, energy, nervous system, mental focus, compassion, and empowerment.
- Blue color: The chakra is associated with thyroid and metabolism and also with a peaceful expression.
- Indigo color: The third eye chakra is located between the eyebrows. It is associated with the pituitary gland and pineal gland. It influences our sleep cycle, clarity, wisdom, self-esteem, and intuition.
- Violet color: It is associated with the Crown Chakra and is located at the top of the head. It is associated with clarity, dreams, spirituality, sleep cycles, dreams, pineal gland, and light sensitivity.